Mar 23

Fixed OpenWRT images for WD N600 & N750

I noticed recently that images I’d generated for the WD N600 / N750 weren’t booting properly. It seems from r39891 built on the 13th March that something changed causing the image to never actually work on the router after being flashed.

I spent a bit of time yesterday debugging this and now as of r40004 things are back in order and working correctly.

Sorry if this caught anyone out!

10 comments

Skip to comment form

• Dave on March 30, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hey there,
    I’m using the lastest revision and I can use my router a brick now.

The Wifi on the 2.4G is not working anymore, or, if it does is only during some minutes then it stops.
    The pppoE connect is not getting to workj properly and I need to “Reconnect” manually every time i reboot the router.

I switched to this for the Wifi stability, but right now I wish I could go back to the stock firmware 🙁

• Dave on March 31, 2014 at 7:59 am

Seems that the wireless STOPS working if the Country option is set and if there’s no Txpower/rts option informed. I have made some corrections via SSH in order to have the WiFi to work again.

Removed “option Country”
    Added “option txpower 20” (Sometimes it doesn’t work on 20 and needs to be 19)
    Added “option rts 2346”

list ht_capab ‘RX-STBC1’
    list ht_capab ‘DSSS_CCK-40’
    option htmode ‘HT20′
    option txpower ’20’
    option rts ‘2346’
    ——————————————————————–
    Speed test 3meters away from the Router using FTTH 100/10 Mb.
    Ping: 36
    Download: 32226 kbps (4028.3 KB/s)
    Upload: 10114 kbps (1264.3 KB/s)

Write files on USB 3.0 HDD:
    2.3 MB/sec

• Greg on April 8, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Hello,

Could you please tell me if the LNA patch is already submited in the main OpenWRT code or do I still need to use your build to have working better WiFi Signal? Thanks 🙂

1. The patches are in the upstream trunk. My builds are automated daily builds of trunk that keep a history of 30 days for the builds to allow rollback if problems are encountered with the latest trunk.

• Soeuni on April 24, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Hi Steve,

Your firmware is really good. May I ask one thing?
    Does your precompiled openwrt kernel support USB audio?

When I tried to install the kmod-usb-audio(under the necessity), I get the following:

root@OpenWrt:/# opkg install kmod-usb-audio kmod-sound-core
    Installing kmod-usb-audio (3.10.36-1) to root…
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/kmod-usb-audio_3.10.36-1_ar71xx.ipk.
    Installing kmod-sound-core (3.10.36-1) to root…
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/kmod-sound-core_3.10.36-1_ar71xx.ipk.
    Configuring kmod-sound-core.
    kmod: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.36/snd.ko
    kmod: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.36/snd-hwdep.ko
    kmod: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.36/snd-seq-device.ko
    kmod: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.36/snd-rawmidi.ko
    kmod: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.36/snd-timer.ko
    kmod: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.36/snd-pcm.ko
    kmod: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.36/snd-mixer-oss.ko
    kmod: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.36/snd-pcm-oss.ko
    kmod: failed to insert /lib/modules/3.10.36/snd-compress.ko
    Collected errors:
    * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-audio:
    * kernel (= 3.10.36-1-0839f991138461479a364e867bb72685) * kernel (= 3.10.36-1-0839f991138461479a364e867bb72685) * kernel (= 3.10.36-1-0839f991138461479a364e867bb72685) *
    * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-audio.

• Sergio on April 29, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Hello, has WD N600 support for VLAN’s (802.1Q)? I need them to change my FTTH router with this one.

1. I’m not actually sure – I haven’t tried this. Happy to get feedback though!

• Sergio on May 1, 2014 at 8:36 am

This comment is only to confirm WD N600 with openwrt supports VLAN’s (802.1Q) and works like a charm with FTTH.

Thank’s for all.

• Larry on January 13, 2015 at 10:15 am

Will there be a porting for the N900 series?

1. I doubt it at this stage. Not many people have these devices.

This thread may be of interest to you however:

The OpenWRT wiki also has this info: