Sep 26

Western Digital MyNet N600 OpenWRT support

After starting the wiki page on the WD N600 about 3 months ago, and posting about it in the OpenWRT forums, I’m proud to announce that OpenWRT is now supported on the WD N600.

I installed the luci web interface, configured it up and installed some basic tools, and the following is still available:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

cpu model : MIPS 74Kc V4.12
BogoMIPS : 278.93
wait instruction : yes
microsecond timers : yes
tlb_entries : 32
extra interrupt vector : yes
hardware watchpoint : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0000, 0x0ff8, 0x0ff8, 0x0ff8]
isa : mips1 mips2 mips32r1 mips32r2
ASEs implemented : mips16 dsp dsp2
shadow register sets : 1
kscratch registers : 0
core : 0
VCED exceptions : not available
VCEI exceptions : not available

# dmesg | grep MHz
[ 0.000000] Clocks: CPU:560.000MHz, DDR:480.000MHz, AHB:240.000MHz, Ref:40.000MHz

See the wiki page for installation instructions!

EDIT: It seems there are some issues with previous builds that can cause wifi to drop out after periods of time. I’ve built r38259 of OpenWRT Barrier Breaker (trunk) that in theory is patched to stop this from happening. Testing is still ongoing and feedback is appreciated…

Download it here:
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mynet-n600-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin – Updated to r38362 on 11/Oct/2013

36 comments

1 ping

Skip to comment form

• marius on October 11, 2013 at 3:01 am

Hi Steve,
    I want to ask if you can help me with a link or some steps to follow, if I want to return to the stock firmware.
    The reason I want to install your firmware is that I can’t stream .mkv files through DLNA on my TV (Samsung D6000).
    I have an extern HDD connected to the USB router and I would like to not move the HDD every time I want to play .mkv files. I didn’t find any way to do this that but I heard that an install of firmware (openwrt) will resolve this issue.

Thanks!

1. I have no idea if/how DLNA works on OpenWRT – I’d do your research first….

• marius on October 12, 2013 at 8:16 am

Thanks for helping me
    I di my research and didn’t found something that would tell me that will work.
    Also, can you help me please to tell me what are the benefits to install open wrt on this router. (I’m a rookie)
    Thanks!

• dlee on October 13, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Just wanted to say thank you to you and those who helped.

• marius on October 17, 2013 at 6:38 am

So…no benefits list?
    Can you please help me with some steps to return to original firmware?

Thanks!

• Abhishek Anand on October 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hi Steve,
    I want to port OpenWRT to mynet 750, which is quite similar to mynet 600
    Could you please guide me into the right direction?
    Thanks

1. Well, the hardware could be quite similar. Firstly, pull it apart and see if you can locate a console header – things become easier from there!

• acorn on October 24, 2013 at 9:48 am

I’m still getting the wifi dropping out. 2.4ghz specifically on rev. 38502 but there are no errors in the kernel or system log and i’m not sure how to identify them.

2. I still get occasional dropouts on 2.4GHz – it seems to be problems in the actual driver. To be fair, I got dropouts with the stock firmware as well – however much more frequently.

The devices that seem to trigger it on my side are 2 x Android phones which toggle the power saving / rate changes quite frequently. Out of interest, what devices do you normally use on the AP?

• acorn on October 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I had only an android phone and windows tablet running off this AP while I was testing it.

I think it’s the windows tablet which is crashing the 2.4ghz since the android is connecting using 5ghz. The 5ghz seems to stay up but the 2.4ghz crashes after a few minutes of using the tablet.

I may have had the issue with the driver in the past that you described since I upgraded from a d-link 615 which had the issue found here: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11862

Every time I had those dropouts with the d-link it would give me a kernel warning of “ath: phy0: Failed to stop TX DMA, queues=0x005!” and would keep working. With this router, the 2.4ghz just crashes without any errors in the logs and nothing can connect again until I restart the radio.

• marius on October 25, 2013 at 7:28 am

No one to help me?

• Abhishek Anand on October 26, 2013 at 5:59 am

Thanks Steven.
    If someone has stock f/w installed on
    My net 600,
    Could he/she log in via telnet and
    Provide me the output of
    cat /proc/mtd? I think this
    does not change after installing OpenWrt. If so,
    those with OpenWRT can also help me.
    Thanks.

• Stephane on November 23, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Hi Steve,

I stumbled on your updated package while trying to install a Alfa Awus036h on my router. Is there any possibility of this happening?

Here is the log of error:

Collected errors:
    * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-rtl8187:
    * kernel (= 3.10.18-1-0de2f8afeb2eecb34eeca6f54b460523) * kernel (= 3.10.18-1-0de2f8afeb2eecb34eeca6f54b460523) *
    * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rtl8187.

1. I’d use the trunk version from openwrt.org now. The packages available are changing to newer kernels (which my older firmware doesn’t have).

If you install the latest trunk, it should work properly.

• stephane on November 24, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Hi Steve.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
        The latest trunk available is the nightly build:http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mynet-n600-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Is that the correct version that you are talking about?

1. Yep. That’s the one,

• Stephane on November 25, 2013 at 9:14 am

Success! I installed the new version and kmod-rtl8187 is not available.
    I’m essentially replacing my Alfa R36 with this N600. The Alfa R36 has an easy integration of USB WiFi adapters, but only has b,g and n band. The N600 will give me full speed and A band as well. Not bad for a $5 router from MSY.

Thanks for your help.

• marius on November 28, 2013 at 7:14 am

Hi,
    I tried to install openwrt on my net n600 but I can’t access the web interface. I read that I should use some telnet commands (or something like that), but I’m a rookie with all of this. I also read the page with luci informations but I can figure it out what exactly to do.
    I thought that openwrt have a web interface included. I used the file form openwrt site, and I didn’t find a factory file with a web interface included.
    PLEASE can you or anyone help me with a tutorial or something like that just to make it work.
    Thanks.

3. The wiki page steps through the bare bones installation of OpenWRT. By default, it doesn’t include a web interface – but you can install it!

Once you have installed OpenWRT, you need to log into it via telnet (which with then prompt you to set a password, then enable SSH access). From there, you can run:
    # opkg update
    # opkg install luci
    # /etc/init.d/uhttpd enable
    # /etc/init.d/uhttpd start

This will install and enable all the components required for the web interface.

You may have to configure DNS settings etc first if you don’t configure your WAN port via DHCP – but that’s rather trivial…

• marius on November 28, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Thanks, I will try this, but I need to ask you if I have to have access to internet. I saw in some comments that I should have it to download luci, but I can’t have access because I should set a user and a password (ppoe connection). So, I will have some issues because of that? Should I use a hotspot from my mobile?

1. It does get a bit tricky if you need to configure PPPoE as well to get internet access.

This page may help – as well as give you details regarding setting out PPPoE:

• Stephane on February 27, 2014 at 11:58 am

Hi Steven.

The router has been working flawlessly since last year; congrats on the development and ongoing support of the firmware.

I now have 2 adsl connections available and have tried to setup a multiwan connection on the router.
    It seems that only the original wan port (yellow port) is able to share an internet connection on the N600.

Is it possible to reassign on the lan ports to create a new wan connection and use it in a multiwan setup?
    I already tried to connect my internet connection in another port and reassign its physical properties under Network/Interfaces to eth0, eth0.1, but to no result.
    Thanks for any input.

• Murray on March 1, 2014 at 12:31 am

Steven,
    First at all, thank you so much for all your work. I’m so happy with this firmware running on my n750.

I got a usb printer, Samsung ML-2510, I connected to the very first usb port. I followed the tutorials that I found on openwrt sites but sadly I can not install kmod-usb-printer sound that it does not run on kernel > 3.10, if so, do you know an alternative way to use USB Printer attached to the router?
    I looked into p910, cups, samba, looks like that kmod-usb-printer is the main component to have on the router to see the printer. I may be wrong, that’s why I post this question.
    Thank you very much.

Note

# opkg install kmod-usb-printer
    Installing kmod-usb-printer (3.10.32-1) to root…
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/kmod-usb-printer_3.10.32-1_ar71xx.ipk.
    Collected errors:
    * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-printer:
    * kernel (= 3.10.32-1-9ebf361b7f8cdd09e21ab452d7ccc05e) *
    * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-printer.

1. It gets interesting with kmods… I build some in the packages directory of the build in question:
      ie: http://openwrt.crc.id.au/r39764/packages/

I do note however that kmod-usb-printer is not one of them… I’ve enabled those packages to be built and kicked off a manual build. It will probably be r39764 at http://openwrt.crc.id.au

You’ll have to set these up manually to install, but as they are usually tied to svn revisions, you’ll need to manage these separate from the openwrt install repos.

• Murray on March 1, 2014 at 4:30 am

Thank you very much!.
        on the other hand I mannaged to install the usb printer using cups and these files.
        – kmod-usb-core
        – kmod-usb-ohci
        – libusb
        – kmod-usb2
        and CUPS talked to the usb printer, I also downloaded linux driver from Samsung, and I got the ppd file to set up the printer. At the end I checked the printer but there was a problem with a file so, my last step was to upload that file rastertosamsungspl to /usr/lib/cups/filter/ and chmod 555 rastertosamsungspl and the printer is working now! to upload the file from my PC to the router I used WinSCP.

Now I face another issues: kmod-usb-storage 🙂
        I though to connect to the other open USB on the router a USB Flash Drive to use it as Printer Spooler. if I find a solution I’ll post it right away.

Collected errors:
        * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod- usb-storage:
        * kernel (= 3.10.32-1-9ebf361b7f8cdd09e21ab452d7ccc05e) * kernel ( = 3.10.32-1-9ebf361b7f8cdd09e21ab452d7ccc05e) *
        * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-storage.

Thanks again!

Murrayhs

1. I also built kmod-usb-storage_3.10.32-1_ar71xx.ipk in the same Packages directory – you should be able to grab it from there also…

• Murray on March 1, 2014 at 6:39 am

I saw it after I sent the comment. Everything is working GREAT!
            I didn’t finish yet the Printer Spooler configuration, I’ll do it soon, and I’ll share my experience with all of you. Thanks again.

• Correohs on March 15, 2014 at 3:28 am

Hi,

When I installed r39913 or r39928 ( on both of them I tried sysupgrade, re installed stock firmaware and I tired factory upgrade) but I couldn’t ping to the router 192.168.1.1 or telnet or ssh to it. I noticed when I did a quick reset ( 1 second holding the reset button ) I received only 1 or 2 successful respond from ping ( 192.168.1.1 ) after after 1 or 2 sec. I got Destination host unreachable.

at the end I did a full reset again and I installed r39891 firmware factory upgrade without any issue.

Is there a different procedure to install them? or Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

1. There shouldn’t be any difference between how you install the builds….

• Leo on March 21, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Hi there.

I don’t know much about routers and never dealt with custom firmware, but I have two of these these (600 and 750) and would like to get them to work. Are there detailed step by step instructions for complete newbie like me?

Thanks a lot!

• marius on April 3, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Hi Steven,
    I solved almost all my issues with this router. (WD-My Net N600)
    But I still have 2 issues:
    1-minidlna – I have a large library and my db file it’s to large (about 25MB) to by stored in the router memory (can’t generate entire file and restart the router). So, I moved db file to external hdd (ext4). My issue is that sometime don’t load the file (show 0 files shared) and sometimes don’t update the file with new media files added. I think that my issue is because my hdd don’t spin up before minidlna to start (I’m not sure). Don’t know for sure if you know about minidlna, so can you help me?

2-The same hdd have one more ntfs partition. I can mount it from putty only with ntfs-3g command (I can’t mount it from luci, I don’t know why) but occasionally it unmount by himself.
    I used a hotplug script written into 10-mount file (found it on openwrtforum-to automount ntfs partitions) but it creates to many sda, sdb, sdc…. mount points and have issues with samba.
    I don’t know/found if ntfs partition have an UUID to load with (like ext4 partition).
    Have you any idea to mount ntfs partition and to stay there?

Thanks

• Jorge on April 18, 2014 at 12:45 am

Steve, excellent post!
    I have a WD N600, which i’ve been trying to get it to work with openwrt.
    Basically I followed the steps mentioned on the wiki (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/wd/n600), and all was good.
    Then i went and tried the commands to enable the web interface mentioned in your post (via SSH):
    # opkg update
    # opkg install luci
    # /etc/init.d/uhttpd enable
    # /etc/init.d/uhttpd start

All good.
    Now, when I try to login to the IP of the router via web browser, it doesn’t work. I can ping and SSH to it, but the web GUI is not working.
    What could be wrong?
    I’m not an expert in linux, so really need your help.

Thank you in advance.

• Jim on February 17, 2015 at 11:09 am

I have flashed the N600 with the OpenWRT firmware. When it initially boots up all the ports act as LAN ports, this is causing problems with my hotspot and causing leakage from the lan to the wan, is there a fix or workaround for this?

• Correohs on March 21, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Hi,
    I’m wondering if there is a chance to install haproxy on WD-N750 running r44875.
    if so, how can I install haproxy? if not, do you have in mind to add it to the repository ?
    Thanks in advance.

• correohs on October 2, 2017 at 3:25 am

I’m working on WPS configuration, I enabled it and WPS configuration is sent to the device correctly.
    I’m wondering if somebody know how to configuration the WPS led light, it will be nice to see the light on or blinking when I push the WPS button.
    Thanks
    device: my net 750

• correohs on October 5, 2017 at 3:06 am

to activate WPS via Luci Network / wireless / edit ( Interface Configuration ) Wireless Security, Enable WPS pushbutton, requires WPA(2)-PSK Check Box. / Save & Apply.

WPS should work now.

script for the WPS Light to work.

#——————————————————————————————

echo “0” > /sys/class/leds/wd:blue:wps/brightness
    sleep 1
    echo “255” > /sys/class/leds/wd:blue:wps/brightness
    sleep 1
    echo “0” > /sys/class/leds/wd:blue:wps/brightness
    sleep 1
    hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd -i wlan0 wps_get_status | grep “PBC Status..Active”
    if [ “$?” = “0” ] ; then
    # End ——————————————————–
    fi
    return 0
    # —————————- Done ————————

I hope this help
    L.A.

1. […] though OpenWRT has been working on the WD MyNET N600 and N750 for a while, the signal strength on this device has always been lacking. Felix Kaechele […]