Apr 13

Cisco 7961 – New Software fixes lots of SIP issues

Cisco has recently released version 8.2(2)SR1 software for the 79×1 phones (not to be confused with the 79×0 phones!). This seems to fix many issues I was having with the phone randomly crashing, randomly unregistering lines and so on. I’d recommend this software load for EVERYONE running a 7941/61 phone. It is stable, and many issues have been fixed.

The Message Waiting Indicator (MWI) still has issues with a plain asterisk config. I have reported this bug to Cisco and I’m hoping they do actually fix it. In the meanwhile, the smart boys and girls in the Asterisk camp have added a “buggymwi=yes” option that you can add under your phone config in sip.conf to work around buggy Cisco phones. I’m not sure if this affects the 79×0 model phones.

I’m part way through putting Australian tones into the phone – but I’m having issues getting the dialtone to the correct Australian one. The File required is /Australia/g3-tones.xml in Cisco Call Manager – however it isn’t publicly available on the Cisco web site. My current version (with the US dialtone still) is here.

Update 21/09/2007: Thanks to Tim who posted the correct Australian dial tones in the comments, this file is now correct for Australian locale. I have updated the file on the link above. Thanks Tim!

9 comments

Skip to comment form

• G on May 16, 2007 at 3:12 am

I made the mistake of buying this model. I should have stayed with the tried and true 79×0 phones. I can’t find the firmware to upgrade the phone. Any ideas?

1. Officially, you’ll need to have a service contract from Cisco. However, if you bought the phone new, you may be able to contact the Cisco TAC in your country and get the correct firmware via a warranty claim.

While you’ll still need a TFTP server etc to do all of this (you can’t upgrade firmware via a web interface like most devices by other manufacturers), but with a bit of persistence you’ll get it ok and it pays off.

• Tim on September 21, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Try the following:

<tone c1=”31058″ i1=”-1471″ c2=”30847″ i2=”-1557″ d=”2″ t=”odial”>
    <part m=”on” t=”65535″/>
    <repeat c=”65535″/>
    </tone>
    <tone c1=”31058″ i1=”-1471″ c2=”30847″ i2=”-1557″ d=”2″ t=”idial”>
    <part m=”on” t=”65535″/>
    <repeat c=”65535″/>
    </tone>

My 7971 doesn’t re-request /g3-tones.xml every boot – it seems to cache it. The simplest way I found to force an update was to perform a factory reset.

2. This works perfectly! Thanks Tim! šŸ™‚

• DAN on September 12, 2008 at 2:22 am

Looking for some help unlocking my 7961 in london, uk
    any out there can help

user00001@gmail.co

thanks

• Matthew on March 14, 2015 at 8:19 am

Hello just wanted to know if anyone has found the United Kingdom g3-tones.xml as i have been searching the net to no avail and also been onto cisco website but nothing their

any help will do or if you have United Kingdom g3-tones template

Many thanks

• Steve on April 22, 2015 at 1:28 am

Did you ever get the G3-tones.xml code for the UK? I’ve got 7941Gs working well with 3CX but, the dial tones are all American. I want to use the UK tones.

1. Yes, I use: https://www.crc.id.au/files/g3-tones.xml

• Steve on April 25, 2015 at 7:49 am

Thanks Steven.

Are the Australian dial tones the same as the UK? Do you know which files I also need to have listed in my provision directory to make this work?

Thanks for your help.