Dopod 838 Pro replacement ROM

Last Updated: 13-Oct-2009

Update: I have changed the way I am developing ROMs. To make this ROM usable by as many people as possible, I have split my work into two chains. There is now a Development chain, and a stable chain.

As always, if you like my work on this web site, please consider donating via the PayPal link on the right hand side of this site.

New to flashing?
Check out the fantastic Beginners Guide to Flashing, and the Upgrading FAQ. There is also an excellent list of common problems and solutions. You can also flash your device using the SD card – something which I find easier. Of course, make sure you have HardSPL installed before doing anything with your phone! There is a full guide on this written by MrVanX

Looking to update your Radio?
You can get a newer radio ROM for your HTC Hermes device from my site. You will need a copy 7zip (to extract the archive).

• Current Release: v13.5
  • Windows Mobile 6.1
  • Build: 20270.1.0.0
Common features
  • Telstra NextG support (Australia only)
  • Microsoft .Net framework 3.5
  • 3G video dialpad
  • Remote Desktop
  • Internet Connection Sharing
  • SMS over GPRS
  • Wireless today screen plugin
  • 802.11g enabled
  • Cleartype enabled in both normal and landscape mode
  • SD Card power management fix
  • Camera delay fix.
  • HSDPA Icon enabled (Displays H when HSDPA is active instead of 3G)
  • Added Disconnect button to GPRS windows
  • Added fix for slow scrolling in Pocket IE
Software Installed after flashing
    Apps available after flashing (via Device Update) include:

• Office mobile 2007 (v6.1)
  • Windows Live (10.6.0033.0600)
  • Cyberon Voice Commander (v2.0 Build 711091)
  • Lots more!
Known Issues
    None
Stable Download

Changelog:
Release 13.5 (26 Sep 2009):

• Fixed GPS intermediate driver for Windows Managed External GPS units (Start -> Settings -> Connections -> External GPS)
  • Fixed random silences of notifications etc.

Release 13.4 (15 Jun 2009):

• Fully integrated DeviceUpdate and DU’s AutoInstall feature into the ROM.
  • Removed package ‘protection’ to allow other chefs to pull apart my ROMs for their own purposes.
  • Removed ClearVue PDF Viewer from normal build due to problems with some PDFs. Install Adobe PDF reader via DeviceUpdate if you need a PDF reader.

Release 13.3 (10 Jan 2009):

• Fixed issues with SetAudioParam not working properly
  • Fixed Comm Manager hotkey not being set on normal version
  • Fixed Black Keyboard from appearing in DeviceUpdate on normal version.

Release 13.2 (31 Dec 2008):

• Fixed blocking issue with timezones updated in March 2008 DST update.

Release 13.1-pre7 (14 Dec 2008):

• Cooked in KB950885 (March 2008 DST Updates)
  • Added Virgin Mobile (AU) settings to HTC Connection Setup.

Release 13.1-pre6 (18 Nov 2008):

• Released for public testing.
  • Cooked in fix for KB958639
  • Cooked in fix for 2008 Daylight Savings time changes.
  • Backported new icons from Dev build 14.1

Release 13.0 (02 Sep 2008):

• NEW: Naked build now available.
  • NEW: Naked Big Storage build now available.
  • NEW: Device Update – keeps your device up to date with apps and things.
  • Removed all but default theme. Install more via Device Update
  • Fixed blgloss theme issues (thanks to augrunt)
  • Few minor graphical tweaks
  • Tweaked file cache, glyph cache etc for hopefully a bit more performance.
  • Fixed issue with non-advanced mode in ActiveSync
  • Cooked in .Net Framework 3.5 into all builds
  • Fixed start menu problems (thanks abusalza)
  • Fixed multi-selection of messages in tmail.exe (Email Application)
  • Fixed the disappearing act with the taskbar and HTC X Button
  • Removed SQM
  • Added IrDA stack
  • Found errror in coredll.dll that stopped Windows Live Search from working correctly.
  • Re-ported XIP from Kaiser to correct corruption in coredll.dll and possibly others
  • Windows Live Search tested ok.
  • Removed useless Zip Viewer from Office CAB
  • Defaulted OBEX transfers to ON (previously this was OFF)
  • Removed Bluetooth FTP Client (Who really uses this? )
  • Repack Office 2007 to hopefully fix some issues.
  • Reduce X-Button auto-close threshold to 2Mb free RAM (Thanks hardcore)
  • Ported Windows Mobile 6.1 build 20270
  • Ported XIP build 20270 from Kaiser

Note: This is NOT an official Dopod/HTC ROM and will therefore not be supported by HTC or Dopod. You should keep a copy of the latest official Dopod ROM incase you need to revert for warranty or troubleshooting purposes. If you have never upgraded a firmware on your Dopod, read up on it first – if you break your phone using this ROM, you get to keep all the pieces. All feedback however is appreciated!

223 comments

2 pings

Skip to comment form

1. Hi Koko, You can install things to the storage card by choosing Menu -> Options -> Use Shell Installer. You will then be able to choose where each cab file is installed. You will however have to continue all application installs manually – as it is not possible to automatically install things to the SD card.

• Christian Ray on February 20, 2009 at 1:27 am

Hi Steven, you’re right. not much risk. I just accidentally erased all my contacts but that’s alright. I was able to upgraded to ROM 13.3 and so far is good! I only have 1 issue, how can I use my mp3’s to be my ringtone and message tone. On sounds and notification, it doesn’t show my mp3’s on my Storage Card. I tried reading some threads but to no avail. Tried tweaking the registry but I don’t know which registry key to edit for the MESSAGE: NEW TEXT MESSAGE. Thanks in advance

• Christian Ray on February 20, 2009 at 1:34 am

By the way, I do have the dilemma as Koko. Is there a way to change the path for the programs installed by DeviceUpdate and point it to my Storage Card? Thanks again.

• ian on February 24, 2009 at 9:35 am

Hi

Any chance you can update the ROM with AKU1.2 that fixes the “100 contacts” bug referenced here:

By the way, do you plan on releasing a WM6.5 ROM when it is released?

1. Hi Ian,

As far as I know, this ‘100 contacts’ bug doesn’t affect my ROM. If it does however, please feel free to let me know. As I don’t use ActiveSync myself (I’m a Mac user!), I can’t verify this.

I don’t plan on doing anything with Windows Mobile 6.5 as yet – as from the initial builds I have worked on, the Hermes is a little too underpowered to make it all happen as it should. If this changes in the future, I may revise this.

• ian on March 2, 2009 at 11:22 am

Hi Steven,

I do run into the “100 contacts” problem and have to synchronize with the PC rather than OTA via DC. If you could include the fix on future releases, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks!

• franklin on March 6, 2009 at 2:37 am

Hi Steven,
    I Have a softbank X01HT, I did use Hard SPL already, but when I run the RUUWrapper, it said “unknown version, u should try Safe SSPL” , what should I do ?

My Softbank X01HT info:
    Windows Mobile 6.0
    Rom Ver : 3.54.707.3
    Rom Date : 07/05/07
    Radio Version : 1.47.00.10
    Protocol Version : 32.80.7020.20H

Did i miss anything ? help me plz, i’d like to try windows mobile 6.1 on my softbank, thanks.

2. Hi Franklin,

You’d be best checking out this thread on HardSPL to make sure everything is ok. If not, posting in that thread may help things.

• franklin on March 6, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Hi steven
    After read the guide carefully, at last I can install wm 6.1 on my softbank x01ht, thanks to you, nice work ! keep up the good work !

• franklin on March 6, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Hi Steven, I get a new problem here, all the system on my softbank x01ht works perfectly, but one, it can’t sync to my PC, I use active sync 4.5, but it said “USB not recognized” , even I check the “enable advanced network functionality” or not, it keep saying “USB not Recognized”, whats wrong with this ? or what should I do ?

Thanks.

• franklin on March 18, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Problem solved, all u need to do is just restart your device, cause sometimes it stuck (and dont forget AFTER using activesync, use task manager to stop it)

Thanks.

• newherm on April 2, 2009 at 4:13 pm

where is Cyberon Voice Commander?
    i cant found in device update list
    or may be i missed somwhere?
    (I use you great 13 naked bs)
    thanks

3. Hi Newherm,

CVC is only included on the normal build of my ROM. Naked and Naked Big Storage do not include it.

• Steve Smith on April 7, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Steve,
    I’ve the 13.3 and it works like a charm. When do you think v14.1 will be ready to release. Regards, Steve

• ian on April 9, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Hi Steven,

What has changed in the development version from 13.3 and 14.1?

Thanks,
    Ian

• matt on April 19, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Damn fine ROM, very nice work mate.

Matt.

• newherm on April 24, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I knew your rom great!
    but can you give a hints to get dopod splash screen
    first boot screen back
    I am OK with second Crcs boot loading
    Thanks

• Kiran on May 1, 2009 at 6:19 am

i am using HTC Touch Dual . Is it possible to use this ROM upgrade to my device.my mobile have problem with the battery backup.Its only getting 6Hrs.is it solve after upgrading ROM.Please send some suggestion to solve my problem.

1. No. You cannot use this ROM on a HTC Touch Dual.

• Yossy Setiawan on May 6, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Hi Steve.

i’m a new dopod 838pro user. can u tell how to make my dopod great? which rom i must used? can u help me?
    i’m using wm 6.0 pro.
    ROM version: 3.54.707.4
    Radio version: 1.47.30.10

best regards,

1. Hi Yossy,

Making your Dopod ‘great’ really depends on what you want. If you happen to like what is in my ROM, then flashing it will make a great difference. If you prefer other addons, then a different ROM may be good for you. I suggest to flash my Normal ROM, see if you like it, if not – try another until you find one you like.

• Yossy Setiawan on May 8, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Hi Steve,

Yesterday i’m flashing my dopod using your ROM and the result is GREAT!, Fast and Stable too. Thanks again steve!

Best Regard,

• Shane on May 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Hay Steve,

Great ROM! Do you think you will be looking at coocking a new WM6.5 ROM for this phone?

I have been using your ROM for almost 6 months now and it works great!!

Cheers

4. Hi Shane,

At the moment, probably not. We’ll see how things go however…

• Andrew on May 11, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hi Steven,
    I installed 13.3 a few days ago and when I open the keyboard it is launching the phone, this has not happened with previous installations. Prior install 13.1-pre7. The wireless network appears to be more reliable and better connection with this ver though. Your comments on the phone launching would be appreciated. Thanks Andrew

• Yossy Setiawan on May 11, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Hi again Steve,

Can you give a hints installing java (jar) on my dopod?

thanks.

• newherm on May 12, 2009 at 8:34 pm

I got savaral hang and cant boot -have to hard reset
    after I use IE,installing facebook -MS release,battery status
    I lway back to use your rom but it also hang me and need to install many time
    Do you have any ideas why it is strucked and only hard reset can do
    SPL-2.10 Oli ,R 1.54.00.10

• newherm on May 12, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I using Crcs13 naked BS,SD 4 GB

• Robert on May 15, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Hi, have had this rom installed for awhile but only just noticed that I cannot recieve MMS messages but am able to send MMS messages. Im on the Telstra NextG service. Any help would be great 🙂

Robert
    robken09@gmail.com

5. Hi Robert,

You will probably need to contact Telstra and get them to enable MMS on your account. It seems this might be the problem – as the receive settings are pretty much the same as the send settings.

• Yossy Setiawan on May 19, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Hi again Steve,
    i wanna ask u ’bout what d different between 13.3 and 14.1?
    By the way, i live in Indonesia. Which Radio i must used?
    thanks.

• Luke on June 18, 2009 at 12:04 pm

ive downloaded the rom upgrade but i cant install it as it doesnt know what the file is… how do i do it

6. As stated at the top of the page, you will need a copy of 7zip to extract the archive you downloaded.

• Charlie on June 19, 2009 at 10:53 am

Hi Steve, could you please tell me exactly what is the difference between the Normal, Naked, and Naked Big Storage versions? And am I correct to think that after running Device Update, I will be given a choice of what software I want to install? (and what are those please?)I am picking up a jasjam tomorrow, and look forward to upgrading to one of your ROMS. Thanks.

1. Hi Charlie,

The normal version is just like what you would get from a phone company with the standard apps, utilities and other things you’d expect to see. The Naked version is a bare Windows Mobile OS and very little else. It’s up to you to install what you want. The Naked.BS version is the same as the naked version – however the extended ROM is removed and that 10MB remapped as general storage space – the down side to this however is that it can be unstable on some devices.

As for questions about DeviceUpdate, check out it’s site.

• Luke on June 24, 2009 at 2:31 pm

where do i get a copy of this 7zip as so i can extract it???

• Luke on June 24, 2009 at 3:21 pm

sorry that questions wasnt sent right ive downloaded the 7zip and unzipped it and everything, but when i do to install it on desktop it doesnt work. and same from my PDA, as it says somthing like “file or assembly name ‘system version=2.0.0.0, Cluture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A bla bla bla’ or one of its dependencies, was not found”

7. Hi Luke,

You need to install the .Net framework 2.0 or higher.

• deejay on June 30, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Hi steven,
    currently i’m using your CrC 13.4, and it’s working great….
    since a few weeks ago i have problems, my storage card is not readable by the device..
    i have try to use another ROM, trying to re-format my SD card, blow off the dust on the card slot, but still not fix the problem. is it caused by hardware failure??
    thanx for your attention.

best regards,

1. Try reading your storage card in a different device. It could be a fault with either the phone or card. Doing this should help you figure out what the problem is.

• Anthony on July 11, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Hi Steve,

Im using a dopod 838 and not the 838pro.. just wondering if you know if i can download your windows mobile 6.1 and install it onto the 838 =). your help will be much appreciated.
    cheers Anthony.

1. Hi Anthony,

The Dopod 838 is a HTC Wizard device. As such, this ROM won’t work on your phone.

• Rik on July 14, 2009 at 1:51 am

Will you be making a Windows mobile 6.5 version soon?

I’ve found a few around but I know your firmwares are good and I trust them.

• moses on July 28, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Hi steve,
    I already upgrade my hermes with ur latest ROM.Quite nice.One question,is there any way i can upgrade my camera version. I cannot use the front camera for self potrait even in user manual say it can.anyway thanks for the rom.:)

• Psatkar on August 10, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Hi Steven,

I think I am doing sme basic task wrongly. I read all the documents and also followed all the steps. I want to flash your ROM to my Dopod 838 pro. I have installed HardSpl, erased all the contents from MicroSD card, copied the HRMIMG.NBH to root folder of SD card and when I start bootloader by pressing “OK”, “Power” button and pressing Reset button, it shows me 4 bands with different colours. Text “Serial” i printed on white band on the lowermost past of the screen. However, there is no screen flash and nothing happens beyond that.

Am I doing anythign wrong here?

Thanks in advance…
    psatkar

8. Hi Psatkar,

A couple of things…

1) Your SD card MUST be 2Gb or smaller in size.
    2) The SD card MUST be formatted as FAT32 (FAT16 or just FAT will not work).
    3) The file MUST be called HERMIMG.NBH

This page has all the details – make sure you follow it step by step.

• sur on October 23, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Hi steven,
    currently im using your CrC 13.3, I cant seem to send contacts or even pictures or other files from my sony ericsson to my 838 pro via bluetooth. I had added the devices into both my phone list but the connection cant seem to work. The bluetooth from my phone cant seem to connect to the 838 pro but picture files can be beamed into my sony ericsson and I cant internet sharing via bluetooth. Please advice. Thank you

1. Make sure that Beam is turned on in Comm Manager and that in Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Beam has the “Receive all incoming beams” setting checked. You may also want to look at upgrading to 13.5 to enjoy a few bug fixes.

• Charlie on November 11, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Hi Steve, I’ve updated to your 13.5 normal release, but I’m still randomly getting silences instead of incoming call alerts, or else I’m only hearing 2 rings after the person calling me has heard 8 or 9 rings. Is there anything you think I could try (find out then change the ‘radio’ version?) … or should I look for some other ROM … or what? Thanks very much, Charlie

• Benjamin on November 24, 2009 at 1:09 am

Hi Steve, can I have a chinese original Kaiser rom on my 838Pro?

I am
    IPL-1.04
    SPL-2.03

1. No. You can only use a Kaiser ROM on a Kaiser Phone.

• Benjamin on November 24, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Thanks a lot Steve, So can I get all the Kaiser Original Cab.?all the ones on the xda are cooked to some extend?

• Ken on January 7, 2010 at 11:16 am

Steve, Would I be correct in saying that the Jasjam cannot recharge and run applications at the same time. Battery does not charge when running navigation software.

1. Hi Ken,

It depends on the charger. A standard USB charger can only supply 500mA of charge, whereas a proper car charger can supply 1000mA. It is quite possible that the phone would use ~400mA while being used as a navigation device – meaning very little to no charge going to the battery.

Get yourself a 1000mA charger (which actually has an extra pin in there!) and you should see some charge go into the phone – however it will be at a reduced rate.

• rajeev on January 26, 2010 at 9:59 pm

hi steve…i tried all the possibe ways to update my os in 838 pro but i m cornered..couldnt move a step ahead..at present it runs windows 5 which sucks cos my previous was running 6.1 and i m used to it..please help me thanks heaps..i have 2gb card so if ur going to tell me the instructions pl tell in way that i can use my sd card my email is rajeevbrisbane@yahoo.com.au

• Dex on January 27, 2010 at 2:01 am

Hey mate,

Thanks for all you hard work, i regularly check this site for updates. Love the work. Keep it coming. I get strange problems occasionally where if I accidentally drop the phone things start going crazy (for example the ‘green and red phone’ plus the ‘d-pad’ on the front stop responding, the green and red phone lights wont turn off etc… Any theories?

Also, my wifi doesn’t seem to work. It will pick up accesspoints but thats as far as it goes. I’ve tried with a few but to no avail. Everyone says that upgrading radio rom’s wont change that so im at a loss in the what to do category.

Finally, do you know of any places/people who physically hack up the hardware for the Dopod 838 Pro? Stuff like clear case mods/lighting/replacing LEDs etc?

Thanks alot for everything mate.

Cheers!

• khurram on January 28, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Hi.. i am using dopod 838 pro, its front buttons are not working. i install windows 6. but problem is still there.
    my specification are
    Rom version: 3.54.707.3
    Radio version: 1.47.00.10
    kindly help me out

1. Hi khurram,

It sounds like this is a hardware problem. It will need to be repaired – either by yourself or by a phone repair shop. No software will fix this problem.

Dex: It sounds to me like your front panel + Dpad issues are the same type of problem.

9. Steve, the ROMs are just amazing, thanks a heap
    like this !(where’s the button?oh well 🙂 )

• Oscar Chang on February 9, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Hello there, any 6.5 Rom coming?

1. No. I have no plans to build a WM6.5 ROM. The HTC Hermes is just getting too slow and dated for the extra requirements of WM6.5. It would be like trying to run Windows 7 on a 10 year old PC – sure it can be done – but it won’t be user friendly or fast.

Load more